Thursday 17 February 2011

Research / Presentation structure

Hey everyone,

So time is pushing on, we have two weeks from today to get our research and presentation sorted. :-/ Great initial research Jenny and Andriana...

As Phil would say I've been 'unpacking' what research we have so far and tried to put it into some form of structure as below...

  • General intro - subject matter, general overview and our research sources
  • What is an encyclopedia - definition, uses and how it evolved (i.e from primitive dictionary's circa 17th Century, and as Andrianna suggested into Wikipedia, the pro's and con's etc.)
  • A look at what was happening in 1700's in general.
  • The cultural impacts of encyclopedias (I'm sure we can link it to Phil's lecture today. I.e Neoclassicism and particularly the birth of the Enlightenment movement.)
  • In depth look at the influences of Diderot and d'Alembert. Who were they? What did they do? etc (I think they were amongst the first to organize their particular fields systematically into what we would recognize today as an encyclopedia, not necessarily the creators of the first encyclopedia )
  • Future implications etc
It makes sense to me to divide the presentation into quarters of 2 and a half minutes each. I think we should all meet in the library at some point and dedicate a good chunk of our time researching some of this further... I'm confident we can absolutely plaster this blog with research and easily come up with a script for our presentation.

When is good for everyone to meet? 

Any problems call or drop me a text!

Paul

2 comments:

  1. Def need to meet up at some point...
    i'm free tomorrow and tuesday lunchtime, all day wednesday, thursday lunchtime and after my seminar which is at 1 i think...so from 2 :P, and all day friday as far as i'm aware.
    Should I research something specific for when we meet up? or just find anything and everything I can?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That definitely sounds like a plan!
    Nice one Paul, im liking the bullet points lol :)im free pretty much all the same times as jenny,
    Ive tried to look around and have just failed miserably. I just keep ending up on wikipedia :( once we each have a few topics to research im sure itll be easy as pie :)

    ReplyDelete